“The office of catechist is basically that of communicating God’s Word.”
(Guide for Catechists, 6)
“Catechists are called to continual conversion and growth in their faith and, for this reason, are called to ongoing spiritual formation.”
(National Directory for Catechesis, 55 C)
In fidelity to the Church’s mission of evangelization, the Office of Catechetical Formation and Education of the Diocese of Cleveland strives to promote and support a comprehensive Catholic formational program for the ministry of catechesis. “Catechists do not merely instruct their students about Christ: they lead them to him” (NDC, 55 E).
The Office of Catechetical Formation and Education provides programs, policies, and processes for the training and certification of Parish Catechists. This formation focuses upon the responsibilities connected to catechetical ministry in the parish setting, especially:
- Help catechists develop an understanding of the nature and goals of catechesis
- Familiarize catechists with the resources available to them
- Assist catechists to be models of faith and virtue and courageous public witnesses to the Catholic Faith
- Provide catechists with a thorough formation in the knowledge and understanding of the Catholic Faith as well as its practice
- Guide catechists to an ever deeper practice of prayer as well as an on-going study of Scripture and the Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Assist catechists in the maturation of their human, spiritual, and apostolic qualities
The Parish Catechist Certification Process in the Diocese of Cleveland exists in four stages:
For more information on Parish Catechist Certification contact your Parish Catechetical Leader or your regional diocesan Catechetical Formation Leader.