Position Description at the Jesuit Retreat House (JRH)
5629 State Road, Parma, OH 44134
Director of Development
Position Summary: This is a full-time salaried role that is responsible for creating, directing, and implementing a comprehensive annual fundraising plan that supports current operations through cultivation of the Annual Fund, management of the annual signature fundraiser Hearts on Fire, and grant-writing, as well as providing support for our capital campaign, and planned giving initiatives. This person works directly with the Executive Director and serves on the Leadership Team.
An opportunity to make a difference in the most important areas of people’s lives!
JRH Mission and Overview: JRH is a Catholic, non-profit organization. Our Mission Statement is as follows:
Inspired by the Gospel of Jesus Christ, rooted in the spirituality of St. Ignatius,
Jesuit Retreat House provides a sacred setting for outreach, retreats and programs
of growth and development for people in the contemporary Church and society.
JRH is the first and longest continuing place in the United States providing retreats for the laity. Building upon our 120 year legacy beginning in 1898, JRH is a growing, vibrant organization and serves over 6,000 people each year. We offer a range of day, evening and overnight retreats and programs that serve youth and adults from Catholic, Christian and other spiritual backgrounds. We provide a place of peace, prayer and reflection where people can ponder the deepest and most important questions in their lives and find greater meaning and direction.
Plan, coordinate, implement, and evaluate fundraising activities designed to meet or exceed specific budgeted goals for the Annual Fund, Hearts on Fire fundraiser, and grants. Activities include donor relations and stewardship efforts, year-round Annual Fund cultivation, annual donor appreciation event, and Hearts on Fire, the major annual fundraising event.
2. In collaboration with the Administrative Team and Marketing staff, develop and manage an on-going solicitation program for annual giving, major gifts, bequests and legacy gifting that includes print and digital marketing components.
3. Manage development operations; write and refresh gift acknowledgements and donor correspondence; ensure acknowledgements are accurate, timely and appropriate; maintain proper and accurate gift records in Raisers Edge, and hard copy where needed. Reconcile Development staff records for Capital Campaign with Finance staff records.
4. Manage the planning and execution of all aspects of Hearts on Fire including budget and pre-event, during, and post-event activities. Work with JRH management and Board Development Committee to select honorees and recruit event co-chairs. Work with Board, Co-Chairs and Development Committee to sell sponsorships and underwriting, tables, ads and tickets. Manage all deadlines, correspondence with multiple parties, and accountabilities.
5. Co-chair the Board Development Committee with a Board member and manage communications.
6. Provide administrative support for Capital Campaign:
Participate on the Capital Campaign Committee and coordinate meeting scheduling, agendas and follow-up.
Manage Capital Campaign database, correspondence and gifts/pledges with all benefactors.
Develop Capital Campaign Progress Reports for the Board in conjunction with campaign consultant.
Direct and support public phase of the Capital Campaign to include but not limited to
collaborating on communications and press releases with Marketing staff.
7. Collaborate with the Marketing staff regarding website promotions, annual donor recognition invitation, design of Hearts on Fire artwork, print/digital communications, and post-event publicity.
8. Research, develop and write grants to secure additional funding for programs and capital projects.
9. Maintain contacts with donors, and develop and expand the existing donor base through personal contacts and visits.
10. Represent JRH at regional Jesuit and community events.
Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of experience in fund-development or related business experience.
Prior experience in fundraising event management with demonstrated ability to meet or exceed project goals.
Respect for and openness to the spirituality and values of a Jesuit institution.
Effective verbal and written communication skills that relate well to different audiences.
Ability to build and sustain relationships and influence key stakeholders.
Ability to take initiative and organize work independently, coordinate projects with others, and manage multiple projects simultaneously in meeting deadlines.
Careful attention to details, accuracy and excellence in meeting project goals.
Competence in MS Word and Excel. Experience in Raisers Edge database software.
Ability to learn Greater Giving event management software.
Some evening and weekend work required.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, and paid time off and holidays.
List of References
Applicants are asked to submit the required documents to Barbara Leggott at the address in the title or by email (in Microsoft Word or PDF attachment) at JRHHumanResources@gmail.com as soon as possible and by August 27. We will continue to accept applications until the position is filled