The Office of Ministry to African American Catholics seeks to carry out advocacy for the concerns and needs of African American Catholics and the African American community. The office provides the Church’s witness that the Catholic Church is home to all people and welcomes all peoples with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The office is accountable to the Secretary for Parish Life and Development who will ensure that the office is in the diocesan administrative structure with access to the standing of other offices and agencies of the diocese.
The staff of the Office of Ministry to African American Catholics strives to fulfill the Mission of the Office by:
- Serving as staff to the Black Catholic Forum.
- Providing staff support to the Diocesan Racism Committee, Diocesan Gospel Choir, Diocesan African Catholic Community, and the Diocesan Global Solidarity Committee.
- Communicating with various offices locally and nationally in support of issues relating to the African American Catholic Ministry.
- Serving in an advisory capacity to the Bishop’s staff of the diocese regarding matters of concern to African Americans.
- Collaborating with the civic community on issues addressing the African American Community.