ACCOUNTING AND OFFICE OPERATIONS
ST. STEPHEN- WEST SALEM
REPORTS TO: Pastor
SCHEDULE: Flexible, willing to accommodate incumbent’s work/life balance while ensuring the needs of parish operations are met. Anticipate a minimum of five hours per week to up to a maximum of 15 hours per week, when necessary.
Under the direction of the pastor, this position is responsible for the successful operations of the accounting and finance functions of the parish, directing and coordinating office services and related activities. Responsible for computing, classifying and recording financial transactions to ensure the financial records of the parish are accurate. Perform routine financial calculations and general ledger duties. Responsible for providing arrangements for meetings or events.
- Strong commitment to the values, mission and ministry of the Catholic Church and St. Stephen parish.
- Manages and coordinates administrative activities
- Manages the maintenance and alteration of office areas and equipment, as well as layout, arrangement and housekeeping of office facilities.
- Negotiates the purchase of office supplies and furniture, office equipment, etc.
- Manages the maintenance of office equipment, including copier, fax machine, etc.
- Coordinates day-to-day operations of the facility (such as distributing building access keys, etc.)
- Participates, as needed, in special projects.
- Operates computers programmed with accounting software to record, store and analyze information.
- Checks figures, postings and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy and proper codes.
- Classifies, records, and summarizes numerical and financial data to compile and keep financial records, using journals and ledgers or computers.
- Debits, credits and totals accounts in computer spreadsheets and databases, using specialized accounting software.
- Receives, records, and banks cash, checks, and vouchers.
- Complies with federal, state and company policies, procedures and regulations.
- Compiles statistical, financial, accounting or auditing reports and tables pertaining to such matters as cash receipts, expenditures, accounts payable and receivable, and profits and losses.
- Codes documents according to company procedures.
- Reconciles or notes and reports discrepancies found in records.
- Completes accounts payable activities with accuracy and efficiency.
- Manages the collection of receipts and funding.
- Processes payroll for the parish with accuracy and efficiency.
- Manages cash in the daily operations of the parish and for any special activities or events.
- Reconciles all checking and investment accounts.
- Prepares financial statements and budget reports-actual against budget; analyze; distribute and recommend actions where significant variances exist; update all investment/accounting schedules. Reconcile balance sheet accounts; print AP & AR aging reports for each entity.
- Administration and maintenance of accounting.
- Manages audits including year-end cutoff, recording of accruals and preparation of schedules for use by outside auditors. Record any audit adjustments and address any management letter comments.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual budget with the pastor.
- Ensures compliance with GAAP and IRS policies for not-for-profits.
- Acts as leader in establishing a good internal control environment.
- Manages retention of financial and other relevant records.
- Provides professional fiscal assistance to employees and volunteers who may be dealing with receipts or distributions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Excellent keyboard/word processing skills
- Proficiency in computer literacy skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook)
- Excellent aptitude for entry level accounting and bookkeeping procedures
- Excellent interpersonal skills, high level of professionalism and diplomacy
- Motivated self-starter
- Demonstrated skill in creating written communications
- Demonstrated skill in reading comprehension
- Good organizational, planning, and project/time management skills
- High school diploma with additional accounting/bookkeeping training or education required. Formal post-secondary relevant training and education preferred.
- 1 to 3 years of previous accounting experience preferred
- Proficient in computer software, particularly accounting software.
- Experience with the operations of not-for-profit a plus Position will remain open until filled. To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Frtestock@yahoo.com