Catholic Diocese of Cleveland

1404 East 9th Street | Cleveland, Ohio 44114

Two celebrations highlight the rich ethnic diversity of the Catholic community in the diocese

Bishop Nelson Perez travelled to Chardon to celebrate Mass and meet the faithful at the annual St. Paul Croatian Parish picnic at the Croatian Center on June 24. Concelebrating Mass with Bishop Perez were St. Paul administrator Father Zvonko Blasko, Father Sinisa Jozic and Father Ivan Manduric, SJ. The Mass at the Croatian Center took the place of the regular Sunday Mass at St. Paul Parish located at 1369 East 40th St. in Cleveland. The Mass intentions were for the families, youth and sick of the parish. A special intention was made for Katarina Blasko, mother of Father Blasko, who died earlier in the week. After Mass, Bishop Perez spent time enjoying the picnic, visiting with clergy, parishioners and guests. The annual parish picnic celebrates their Croatian heritage with music and Croatian cuisine. Founded in 1902, St. Paul Croatian parish is the only church serving Latin Rite Croatians in the city of Cleveland.

On June 17th, the faithful at St. Emeric Parish in Cleveland gathered at Mass to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Father András Mezei’s ordination to the priesthood. Father András Mezei is the administrator at St. Emeric Parish who was invited here from Hungary to serve the spiritual needs of the Hungarian speaking Catholic community of Cleveland and has been here in that capacity since 2015. At the end of Mass, a letter of greeting and blessing from Archbishop Gyula Márfi of the Archdiocese of Veszprem, Hungary, where Father is from, was read, after which the children of the parish came forward and greeted Father each with a white flower and one recited a poem for this very special occasion. The St. Emeric parish organizations, the Altar Guild, the Parish Council, the Liturgical Assistants, the Traditional Choir and organist, the Contemporary Youth Choir and musicians, and the American Hungarian Friends of Scouting, as a sign of their esteem and affection, jointly presented Father with a beautiful chalice as a gift to commemorate this special occasion. Following the Mass, guests enjoyed a delicious Hungarian chicken paprikash dinner social in the church hall prepared by the ladies of the parish.

Diocese of Cleveland © 2014 1404 East 9th Street | Cleveland, OH 44114
Phone: 216-696-6525 | 1-800-869-6525 (Toll Free in Ohio) info@dioceseofcleveland.org