Director of Buildings and Grounds: Elyria Catholic High School
Elyria Catholic High School
DIRECTOR OF BUILDINGS & GROUNDS
CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF CLEVELAND & ELYRIA CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Cleveland was founded on April 23, 1847. Under the leadership of the Most Reverend Edward G. Malesic, Bishop of Cleveland, it is the twenty-third largest Diocese in the United States. The Diocese encompasses the counties of Cuyahoga, Summit, Lorain, Lake, Geauga, Medina, Wayne, and Ashland. With more than 692,000 Catholics in the Diocese, the Catholic Charities- Diocese of Cleveland is one of the world's largest diocesan systems of social services. The Diocese includes 185 parishes, 110 Catholic schools, one pastoral center, and one mission office. The cathedral is the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, located in downtown Cleveland. Please go to our website, www.dioceseofcleveland.org, for more information about our Diocese, mission, and ministries.
The Office of Catholic Education provides expertise, experience, and energy to lead and assist those who carry out the education ministries of the Diocese of Cleveland. In steadfast support of our over 40,000 students and their families, the Office works to ensure that each School can deliver strong, positive, vibrant Catholic education for continued growth in academic excellence and faith formation.
The Catholic Diocese of Cleveland and Elyria Catholic High School are pleased to accept applications for the Director of Buildings & Grounds. Founded in 1947 by Monsignor William Newton, Elyria Catholic recently celebrated its 75th anniversary. As the only Catholic high school in Lorain County, Elyria Catholic has educated three generations of families with a nurturing environment and a personalized approach to education. With an ever-increasing enrollment, currently at 500 students in grades nine through twelve, Elyria Catholic High
strives to advance its mission “to empower young adults to identify and use their God-given gifts to learn, worship, and serve guided by Catholic tradition.”
Our school is thriving, as evidenced by enrollment, philanthropic giving, student engagement, and the 2022 launch of a five year Strategic Plan rooted in our pillars of Excellence, Compassion, Faith, Tradition, and Community. Additionally, as part of the Strategic Plan, we have engaged an architectural firm to assist us in formulating a Campus Master Plan, which will lead to a capital campaign.
Diocesan-owned and operated high schools’ function under a President/Principal model of school administration. The principal is the school’s chief academic officer, supported by an Assistant Principal, Dean of Academics, and other staff, including enrollment, campus ministry, guidance, athletics, and all faculty. The President serves as the chief operating officer, supported by the Director of Philanthropy & Engagement, Director of Finance, Director of Marketing, Director of Buildings & Grounds, and additional staff members responsible for marketing, communications, building maintenance, and advancement.
As a key member of the Elyria Catholic High School leadership team, the Director of Buildings & Grounds, supports the vision of the president, provides high quality oversight and maintenance for the facilities, equipment, buildings, and grounds of the Elyria Catholic High School campus, and manages the Buildings & Grounds staff.
- Ensure that the activities of this position are consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the Diocese of Cleveland.
- Develop and implement comprehensive annual and quarterly strategic facilities plans for the president’s approval. Meet the benchmarks in the approved plan and conduct continuous assessment for recommended changes.
- Help advance the Elyria Catholic Strategic Plan and Campus Master Plan as a member of the Facilities Committee
- Inspect, troubleshoot, and repair facilities as appropriate including building, electrical, mechanical, air conditioning, and plumbing systems.
- Regularly inspect and survey major equipment and operating systems noting general condition, needed repairs, and potential concerns. Work in concert with the president to determine the schedule, identify resources, and communicate the type of work to be completed.
- Maintain solid working relationships with the president and leadership of Elyria Catholic High School and all internal staff to assure that the property sufficiently operates under their programmatic needs.
- Communicate and report findings and recommendations to the president in a professional manner.
- Productively and professionally supervise maintenance staff and direct work assignments.
- Oversee major projects including but not limited to: mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and roofing. Work directly with contractors and general trades to resolve all issues and complete projects within budget and timeline.
- Maintain governmental and licensing standards for the variety of areas within the scope of oversight and supervision.
- Work directly and follow up with vendors and contractors to ensure that the best possible pricing is obtained for high-quality work, product, and scheduled completion expectations.
- Work directly with the finance staff to develop appropriate budgets to recommend to the president, and to keep projects and maintenance within approved budgets.
- Ensure all duties are accomplished using safe work habits and provide for the safety of other personnel while performing repairs and maintenance.
- Maintain safe, clean, and organized workshop, project, and mechanical spaces.
- Demonstrate professional and appropriate values and behavior to the students and Elyria Catholic campus community.
- Ability to use computerized maintenance systems programs.
- Perform other duties as necessary to accomplish objectives.
- Ability to uphold the mission, vision, and values of the Catholic Church in the Diocese of Cleveland in performing all responsibilities of this role.
- Post-secondary education, certification, or training in facilities management. High School diploma and relevant experience may be considered in lieu of post-secondary training.
- Five years of experience in management of facilities or buildings and grounds. Facilities leadership experience at a school campus setting is preferred.
- Ability to create and implement resourceful strategic plans for the health and sustainability of facilities and grounds to meet the mission of Elyria Catholic.
- Commitment to good stewardship and facilities leadership best practices.
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of construction techniques and materials required to build objects, structures, and buildings.
- Must have building and grounds experience in an educational environment.
- Must have knowledge in methods, materials, equipment, and tools used in construction, maintenance, and repair of buildings.
- Must have knowledge of occupational hazards and safety practices related to building and grounds maintenance.
- Must have knowledge of Uniform Building Codes and other related codes, rules, and regulations.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and strong detail orientation.
- Must have strong working knowledge of moderately complex plumbing, electrical systems, carpentry, roofing, mechanics, masonry, HVAC, etc.
- Microsoft Windows proficiency and/or possess other comparable computer skills.
- Must be flexible and able to handle multiple tasks at one time.
- Must be able to safely lift and move up to 50 lbs and climb stairs and ladders.
The search committee is on a fast track to identify and secure a Director of Buildings & Grounds.
Interested and qualified individuals are invited, but not required, to contact Annie Heidersbach, President of Elyria Catholic High School, in confidence at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates choosing to apply are invited to submit a cover letter, resume, and completed Diocese of Cleveland Employment Application including contact information for three (3) professional references to Paul Hudak, Human Resources, at email@example.com. In the subject line, please enter: Elyria Catholic Director of Buildings & Grounds. References will not be contacted until or unless a serious mutual interest is established and not without the candidate's permission.
The position will remain open until filled.