Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Level One Catechist Formation for Adults (Part I)
Saturday, June 11 from 9:00am - 4:30pm
Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) is a Montessori-based religious formation program which focuses on the child's relationship with God and assists the child as he or she learns to follow Christ, the Good Shepherd. Catechesis of the Good Shepherd was developed almost 70 years ago in Italy and has moved throughout the world.
Session Dates: Saturday, June 11 and Monday to Friday, July 18 - 22, 2022.
A typical session includes prayer, a presentation on scripture or the liturgy, and time for the children to work with materials from the presentation and silently ponder the mysteries presented. CGS philosophy has the child first ponder God’s love for them and then teach them how to live out the Catholic faith. It is not a classroom style of teaching and allows for more flexibility to teach at the child’s own pace. For this reason, Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is also very effective for children with learning disabilities.
Level I catechist formation is foundational for all three levels of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. The primary focus is preparation to serve three-to six-year-old children. The objectives of Level I catechist formation are:
- To present the guiding principles of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd.
- To explore the vital religious needs and capacities of the 3–6-year-old child.
- To offer the adult time to prayerfully reflect and personally consider the Biblical and liturgical themes presented to the 3–6-year-old child.
- To broaden the adult’s ability to observe and learn from children’s spirituality.
- To cultivate the capacity to deeply listen to and enjoy with children the Word of God.
- To offer guidelines and assistance in preparing the atrium, writing the catechist's album, and making materials.
Event Contact: Gregorgy Coogan