Guidelines to preparing your church
- Hand sanitizer should be available at each entrance of the Church and throughout the Church.
- Restrooms, door handles, push plates and knobs should be sanitized after each service.
Social Distancing / Pews
- All pews/seats should be marked for 6 feet of distance between worshippers with labels indicating social distancing.*
- No materials may be left in the pews. All missals should be removed from the pews and stored for the duration of the pandemic. Parishes are encouraged to print disposable worship aids (please adhere to copyright).
- Restrooms, door handles, push plates and knobs are to be sanitized after each service.
- Wipe down all pews and kneelers with disinfectant after each Mass.
Please Note: *6 feet distances should be marked with tape on the floor of the Church and staggered if there are two communion lines so that distance is kept between those who are receiving communion both ahead/behind and next to one another.
Clergy and other ministers should maintain six-foot distances and should not greet parishioners as they enter church and should wear masks.
Temporary Suspension of the following:
- Holy water fonts should remain empty until further notice.
- Nurseries and cry rooms should not be used.
- Children's Liturgy of the Word should only be offered virtually.
Entrances, Doorways and Capacity
- Entry and exit doors are to be adequately designated and monitored.
- One entry way should be designated in order to count the numbers of people entering.
- Entry doors should be propped open before Mass and exit doors should be propped open at the end of Mass to prevent the touching of door handles, knobs or push plates.
- Attendance should be limited to a maximum of 50% of the church’s total capacity in order to assure compliance with social distancing requirements.
Prepare signage for the doors of the Church
Suggestions may include, but are not limited to:
- Masks Required (Please make disposable masks available at the doors of the church).
- Please observe social distancing
- Maximum of 50% of occupancy of the church is permitted for the foreseeable future
Prepare for a “both-and” rather than “either-or” experience of liturgy
Suggested actions may include, but are not limited to:
- Recorded messages - continue in order to reach all parishioners until such time when everyone feels completely safe to return to public worship