70 years ago, Bishop Edward Hoban announced the founding of St. Leo the Great Parish on Cleveland?s West Side.
As part of the commemoration of the parish?s 70th anniversary year, Bishop Nelson Perez celebrated the 4 p.m. Mass on Sept. 1 at St. Leo the Great Church. The bishop was joined by Father James Schmitz, pastor of the parish, and Father Dan Schlegel, secretary for clergy and religious at the diocese. Father Schlegel also is Father Schmitz?s cousin.
Several hundred people attended the Mass and heard the bishop talk in his homily about the founding of the parish in 1948.