As he makes his way throughout the diocese visiting parishes, Bishop Nelson Perez reminds the faithful that perseverance allows parishes like St. Peter?s in North Ridgeville to thrive and continue to pray the ?perfect prayer,? the Eucharist.
In 1838, the first Catholic families began settling in North Ridgeville. As time passed, many people of German heritage began moving into the area.
But just as Mary and Joseph couldn?t find a place to stay on their trip into Bethlehem, these families struggled to find a place to attend Mass. Without a church nearby, they were forced to travel in order to attend Mass.
After years of perseverance, they raised enough money to buy a piece of land and build a church. On Christmas Day 1875, the first Mass was celebrated in what is now St. Peter?s Church.
Peter Meyer donated the most money for the church, so the parish was named in honor of St. Peter. A year after the church?s dedication, a parish school opened. Today, St. Peter School has more than 200 students enrolled in grades K-8.
The parish continued to grow, but in 1914, a fire destroyed the church. Within a decade, the current church was built. It was dedicated on May 27, 1923.
The bishop made his first visit to St. Peter?s on Sept. 9. He celebrated the noon Mass with Father Bob Franco, St. Peter?s pastor; Father Andy Hoover, the parochial vicar;