Who are Young Adults in the Diocese of Cleveland?
Young adults are persons in their late teens, twenties, and thirties who represent diverse cultural, racial, ethnic, educational, vocational, social, political, and spiritual backgrounds. They are college students, workers, and professionals; they are persons in military service; they are single, married, divorced, or widowed; they are with or without children; they are newcomers in search of a better life.
"We must remember that prayerful discernment has to be born of an openness to listening-to the Lord and others, and to reality itself, which always challeneges us in new ways." -Pope Francis, Christus Vivit, 284 (quoted from Guadete et Exsultate, 171)
Purpose of Young Adult Ministry
The purpose of the office of young adult ministry is:
- To accompany young adults and those who serve them on their journey of faith.
- To connect all Catholics between 18-39 to Jesus and to the Church.
- To create "parish collaboratives" that offer a myriad of opportunities for young adults within a parish structure.
- To provide spiritual development opportunities for young adults diocesan wide through retreats, conferences and connection to spiritual direction services.
- To empower parishes and groups to host young adult social, service and spiritual events.
- To connect young adults with ways to participate in local community service activities.
- Providing opportunities for young adults to dialogue with the church and with other young adults .
- To connect young adults with National Organizations in Young Adult Ministry.
How the Office can Help?
We're here to answer some of the deeper questions of meaning for young adults and more importantly, to accompany young adults on their journey of faith, no matter where they presently are on it, in their attempt to answer them. These may include:
- Where can I meet people who share my values?
- Where can I find a church and young adult community once I’ve moved to NE Ohio
- How do I find meaningful work?
- How can I serve the needs of those living in poverty and participate in other kinds of service to the communities around me?
- How can I live out my faith today?
- Who should I date? Who should I marry?
- Are there Churches that have praise and worship music and good preaching?
- How can I learn more about Catholic teachings?