Director of the Office for Worship: Diocese of Cleveland
Office of the Bishop - Cleveland, OH
The Catholic Diocese of Cleveland
Director of the Office for Worship
Full-time, Exempt Status
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Cleveland was founded on April 23, 1847. Under the Leadership of the Most Reverend Edward C. Malesic, Bishop of Cleveland, it is the twenty-third largest diocese in the United States. The Diocese encompasses the counties of Cuyahoga, Summit, Lorain, Lake, Geauga, Medina, Wayne and Ashland. There are just under 700,000 Catholics in the Diocese, and Catholic Charities-Diocese of Cleveland is one of the largest diocesan systems of social services in the world. There are 185 parishes, 110 Catholic schools, 1 pastoral center and 1 mission office within the Diocese.
Under the direction of the Vicar General and Moderator of the Curia, the director assists the Bishop in his role as "chief steward of the mysteries of God and the overseer, promoter, and guardian of the liturgical life" of the Church in Cleveland.
- Provides resources and support for the formation and preparation of liturgical ministers and liturgical committees serving in the parishes and institutions of the
- Coordinates the work of the Diocesan Liturgical Committee (an advisory
group composed of pastors, liturgists, musicians, directors of RCIA, artists and
- Oversees the implementation of Built of Living Stones in the building and
renovation of churches and chapels.
- Serves as a resource person to diocesan parishes, institutions, staff, and offices.
- Develops and implements the programming of the Office:
- Facilitates short and long-range planning concerning Liturgy and the Rites of the Church.
- Develops and facilitates educational programming (catechesis and mystagogy) concerning liturgical books and the Rites of the Church.
- Facilitates and conducts training for extraordinary ministers with regularity and frequency to meet the needs of the parishes.
- Develops and facilitates other workshops and educational programming.
- Provides resources for the formation and the implementation of the RCIA in parishes as well as the formation of RCIA ministers and teams.
- Oversees the preparation of and planning for liturgies including: Chrism Mass, Ordination Masses, Confirmations, Masses the Bishop is scheduled to celebrate and other celebrations as requested.
- Maintains contacts with the Bishops’ Committee on the Liturgy of the
- Acts as the primary liaison to the Federation of Diocesan Liturgical Commissions.
- Works with the Director of Music for the Cathedral for liturgical events.
- Prepares and manages the Office budget.
- Facilitates correspondence dealing with liturgical matters for the Bishop.
- Participates in meetings regarding Diocesan liturgy and worship as directed.
- Accomplishes other duties as assigned.
- Practicing Catholic in full communion with the Church.
- Demonstrated strong knowledge and understanding of Catholic teaching and traditions.
- Master's Degree (minimum) in liturgy or in theology with a concentration in sacraments or liturgy, advanced knowledge of Church documents on liturgical issues.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in diocesan or parish liturgical work or ministry.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, teaching, leadership, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with people and with diverse groups.
- Reliable transportation for travel throughout the 8 counties of the Diocese.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and completed Diocese of Cleveland Employment Application to email@example.com.
Please avoid using “see resume” for any field of the Employment Application. For full consideration for position, a cover letter, resume, and completed application must all be submitted. In the subject line please enter: “Director of the Office for Worship: Candidate Application Materials.”
Position will remain open until filled. Formal review process of all complete submitted materials to identify candidates for interview will begin on October 23, 2023.